Life's Run

Journey of a mother, wife, runner..

30 September
16Comments

Marathon Training

As of today, I have 40 days left before running my first marathon. EEEEKKKK!!! Getting very excited, especially after my long run this past Saturday.

Tuesday – 8 miles. That was a little rough of a run. My knee did not hurt but was achey. My right calf and right hip however was hurting. I think it’s from overcompensating for my knee.

Thursday – 7 miles. Much better run. It was a tad bit cooler, no significant pain anywhere.

Saturday – 17 miles. I was a little nervous about this distance and my knee. It was wonderfully cool, my knee felt good and no pain in my calf or hip. Woohoo! I did have an amazing massage the day before..wonder if that helped? Also no stomach issues. I think the salted caramel GU gel and some gummy bears will be my race day nutrition.

If you noticed, I only trained 3 days last week. I backed off the 5 day training plan and have been trying to run at a good easy pace. I think this has been very good for my knee.

I also continue to use ice and heat on my knee after my runs. Thanks to 110% Playharder, this has become easier with the Blitz Knee Compression + Ice Sleeve. You can also heat the ice pack in the microwave, which is AWESOME! Heat, ice and compression all in one!

IMG_20130926_102059-1

I also use the Clutch Tight for all over icing and compression. Since I discovered 110%, no more sitting in an ice bath! I love being able to move around while icing.

110 Clutch tights

I have a lot of friends training for marathons right now, New York, Chicago, Pensacola. Are you training for a marathon, if so, which one? If not a marathon, what is your big fall race? Do you take an ice bath after long runs?

16 Responses to “Marathon Training”

1. The ice/knee sleeves and pants look awesome! I could have used those with marathon training in the spring. I lived in compression gear! Nice week of training!

2. MIZ says:

OOOH SO INTERESTING!
    Ive never heard of that tight!
    must.tell.my.marathon.loving.sister.

3. misszippy says:

Glad you were feeling well out there! A little step back can go a long way. I’m about 7 weeks out of the Richmond Marathon (number 13? for me!)

4. Leah F. says:

That’s so excited that your marathon is coming up so soon! I’m glad you had a good training week and that your long run went well! I would have never thought about eating gummy bears on my run! I will have to try that.

5. For my first marathon, I also learned I had to back off to 3 days per week and it worked out well. You’re going to be so ready!

6. Alicia says:

So I’ve seen the ice compression sleeves for calves, but never for the whole leg! That’s amazing!!! I hate being cold, so ice baths are dreaded… but full body ice packs I think I could do ;)

Great job on your training this week. I’m a 3 day/week runner too, and I do think it helps with injuries/pain. I haven’t noticed any negative changes in performance, either. In fact, I’m faster than I’ve ever been!

• Regina says:

110% Compression + Ice products are AWESOME!! I like hearing that being a 3 day a week runner has made you faster! :)

7. That pants look awesome! Nope not training for a marathon this year. Maybe next year!!! It will be my first one !:) YAY!

8. Hollie says:

I’m really glad that your knee pain is going away. Those pants look awesome. Like I just said on twitter, I’m training for my first marathon November 3rd as well. Have a great 20 miler this weekend and hopefully not too much rain. :-)

Place your comment

Please fill your data and comment below.
Name
Website
Your comment

Get every new post delivered to your Inbox

Join other followers:

DISCLAIMER: I am not a nutritionist, sports medicine doctor, certified personal trainer(yet), therapist, or anything else fancy like that. All suggestions, ideas, and stories shared on this blog only reflect what has worked for me on my journey. When making health and exercise decisions be sure to think about what is best for you and, if need be, consult someone who is actually a professional.